THIS my friends is my Friday night. Yep. Pizza, beer (notice it’s light beer though!), cookie, ice cream and a healthy apple & magazine to even it out a little bit. I’m actually that girl on a Friday night who’s staying home to blog with a spoon in hand trying to find the bottom of her ice cream bucket. Ahhhh!! But the cool thing about this, is that I WANT to stay home by myself and eat my Ben & Jerry’s. They are my friends tonight! (they won’t be next week when I have to run an extra 10km, but oh well – right now they are my friends!).
My dad and stepmom came over for dinner, hence the pizza and beer! When they left, I walked them outside and accidentally found myself standing beside the freezer at Capers staring at this happy looking bucket of goodness. What can I say? It was calling my name. Oh well. I ate well this week, so I justified having the splurge!! I deserved it. :)
I often get questions of what it is that I eat? What is my regular exercise regimen? Basically, I don’t follow anything specific – except the 80/20 rule. Healthy for 80% of the time, and fun splurges for the other 20%. Balance! I work out probably too much, but I do it so much so that I CAN eat all of my favourite cookies! Everything in life needs to have a balance of 80/20 at LEAST!! After eating all of that ice-cream, I know that it will be a long while until it happens again. My stomach already hurts. haha. But I don’t have ANY regrets! It was definitely worth it.
There have been times when I’ve put on a few pounds and have struggled to get them off (especially after spending a Christmas in Ireland, where the beer seemed to flow out of the taps & in Italy where the Nutella croissants were my best friends). I found that when I focused so intensely on ‘losing the weight’ and not allowing myself to have a treat every so often, it stayed right on there. As soon as I accepted my body and talked nicer to it, I found myself wanting to be more gentle with it and even found myself eating healthier without depriving myself of things or forcing myself to be hungry. If you’re struggling to lose those last few pounds, try sending some love to your body instead of picking it apart. It actually works. If we put all of our focus on something negative such as “losing weight”, we are constantly thinking the unhappy thoughts of “having to lose weight” from our not so happy body. If you send thoughts of happiness to your body, you will see happy results. Sound crazy? Try it first and then tell me it’s crazy. It works for me!
80/20! I appreciate the splurges in life more so now after spending a lot of time working in the hospital. We never know when this precious life of ours might come to an end, so it’s important to EN-JOY it. In moderation of course if it’s unhealthy, but even TOO HEALTHY can be out of balance. 80/20! Have a great weekend and enjoy yourself!
Smile with your heart!